VPIX compatability questions

Richard Karasik richard at octel.UUCP
Thu Jan 10 13:12:55 AEST 1991

In article <102 at calcite.UUCP> vjs at calcite.UUCP (Vernon Schryver) writes:
>In article <1991Jan4.201448.14923 at cbnewsm.att.com>, dab at cbnewsm.att.com (david.a.berk) writes:
>> 2. Has anyone been able to get Microsoft Windows and/or Microsoft Word to
>>    function under vpix?

Yup I just got it going -but you need a free update from ISC (I believe it's
SU3. Its gawdallmighty impressive to run X and then invoke vpix and then bring
up windows 3.0 (I dont know why anyone would really do this but its still
impressive.) Plain vanilla isc wouldn't install windows at all. -
By the way I have to reset config.sys to use pems.sys in order to get
windows to use more memory (up to 2 MB). Im going to try this tonite.
Otherwise you are stuck with the dos limit and that simply aint good enuff to
install other programs (like delrina's perform) with.

Also during install of windows under vpix in unix partition (which is what I
did) it will carp about himem.sys driver -just ignore it and keep on going.

>Microsoft Word 5.0 works under VP/ix 1.01.01 (sic) with came with ISC
>386/ix 2.0.2, provided you either (1) obtain the 'Word 5.00 "Disk Full"
>Patch' diskette, or (2) always run Word in DOS partitions instead of UNIX
>directories.

I have had no problems with WORD except it not noticing the mouse. I have
several hundred kB of document stored -on a 690MB esdi drive to boot!

Richard