Hardware Flow Control on tty

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.ssdl.com
Thu Jan 3 13:02:54 AEST 1991

In article <1990Dec23.212620.7094 at unixland.uucp> bill at unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>reputed to support the NS16550 UART (although I've failed to get it
>to even work AT ALL with the WD version of that chip).  I have yet to
>try the WD chips in the AST 4-port board I just installed.

Judy Scheltema and I have tried the WD 16550 chips in Steve Nuchia's
async board, and they fail there as well.  It seems that the only ones
which work properly are the National chips.  Why?  I don't know.  As
I recall, the symptoms we were having were problems like seeing repeating
garbage popping-in all over the place, kind of like the internal FIFO
pointers getting munged.  I never tried WD's 16550 chips without FIFOs
enabled, but why should I?  The National parts are more expensive (about
twice the price of the WD version), but are worth it.
--
Gil Kloepfer, Jr.              gil at limbic.ssdl.com   ...!ames!limbic!gil
Southwest Systems Development Labs (Div of ICUS)   Houston, Texas