14 character limitation in filenames

Chin Fang fangchin at elaine0.stanford.edu
Wed Jan 30 10:07:29 AEST 1991

In article <20711 at hydra.gatech.EDU> ken at dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:
>In article <290 at sps.com> arm at sps.com (Annette Myjak) writes:
>>can anyone explain why there's the 14 character limitation in filenames
>>(11 + 3 for extension) in interactive unix?
>
>[..stuff deleted]

>>is this common for all 386 based unices?
>
>Yes, save Mach/386 (and OSF/1) and BSD 4.x/386.

And to limited extend, save ESIX V R3.2 rev.D. (you can't use 256 char for /)

>>is this limitation likely to be overcome anytime soon?
>
>Overcome in System V release 4.  It *can* be done in System V.3.2
>(Tektronix UTek V for the 88000 has flex-names and is 3.2 based).
>Noone has done it for the 386 that I know of.

And see above comment.  For demonstration, ftp to ypig.stanford.edu annon.
and then type ident as passwd to see how 256 char is done in ESIX V R3.2 rev.D

>Yea...join the club...

Humm... I am afraid it is not necessary yet!

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
fangchin at portia.stanford.edu

ps. It was a struggle to get 256 char file names however, to be fair. since
    ESIX Tech people in the know won't tell you how.  You can try it at your
    own risk!
    bottomline: go with R4.x.