The INfamous inode bug

Riccardo Pizzi pizzi at esacs.UUCP
Tue Jan 8 19:53:51 AEST 1991

In article <5685 at rsiatl.Dixie.Com> jgd at Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) writes:

>THAT's not a lot of news, THIS is a lot of news (Whips out his traffic
>report) :-)  We averaged 10 mb/day throughout the month of December
>up to the Christmas break.  We usually run from 4 to 6 mb/day.  The Inode

Well, I was referring to my home system. 2 Mb/day is enough for a home
system with no TCP connections (only the Traily), isn't?
I am using Cnews and heard from some guy on the net that this package
doesn't cause the bug to show up. I think that, even if I don't spool
10 Mbyte/day, even spooling as little :-) as 2 Mb/day should cause the
inode count to decrease. Consider that I do not run fsck except when I
had a power failure (in fact, the startup procedure does it for me).
I never shut down the system, either; so little-by-little the count should
reach 0. But it does not happens. Any clues?

>I get a printout of the activity on our logging printer so I can see
>when it happens.  When the volume was up around 10 mb/day, it got us almost
>every day.  There is a binary patch available for 2.2, though I've
>not yet applied it.

What news package are you running? Maybe this makes a difference.
I would like to hear from ISC support about the bug status (I run 2.2).

Rick
--
Riccardo Pizzi @ ESA Software, Rimini, ITALY
e-mail: pizzi%esacs at relay.EU.NET -or- root at xtc.SUBLINK.ORG