The INfamous inode bug

John G. DeArmond jgd at Dixie.Com
Tue Jan 8 07:30:05 AEST 1991

pizzi at esacs.UUCP (Riccardo Pizzi) writes:

>Hmmm... I'm running ISC 2.2 from 3 month now (I've ran 2.0.2 for about
>one year without problems) and I'm spooling a *lot* of news every night
>(about 1,5-2 Mb).
>I didn't notice anything strange with my filesystem.
>Are you sure it was not a problem with your hw?

THAT's not a lot of news, THIS is a lot of news (Whips out his traffic
report) :-)  We averaged 10 mb/day throughout the month of December
up to the Christmas break.  We usually run from 4 to 6 mb/day.  The Inode
bug gets us about twice a week.  I have a cron job that runs every 10 minutes
that looks at the inode count and when it hits the emergency level (10,000
on our system) it fusers everybody off the news partition and runs fsck.
I get a printout of the activity on our logging printer so I can see
when it happens.  When the volume was up around 10 mb/day, it got us almost
every day.  There is a binary patch available for 2.2, though I've
not yet applied it.

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)