Unix/Novell interface

Tim tjreynol at zephyr.cair.du.edu
Mon Jan 14 08:33:16 AEST 1991

In article <1013 at pdxgate.UUCP> berggren at eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Eric Berggren) writes:
>david at ctr.columbia.edu (David Freidlander) writes:
>
>>It seems to me that a little while ago someone posted a request for
>>information on products/methods for interfacing novell networks with
>>Unix systems and networks.  I wonder if that person could post a
>>summary of the information they received, or if people could mail me
>>copies of their responses.  It seems to me that there is a great
>>interest out there in doing this sort of things.
>
>  Hmmm, if you get any direct info, could you forward me a copy? Thanx.

>  Eric Berggren             |   "Round and round the while() loop goes;
>  Computer Science/Eng.     |         Whether it stops," Turing says,

I recently asked about an e-mailer for Novell <-> Unix; I got one response,
from a person (forgot name) who suggested I look into View:

                               VIEW Mailer
                             An Introduction

View is a PC based electronic mail system.  View can operate with
a stand-alone PC, or as part of a novell network.

In stand-alone mode (NOSVIEW.EXE), you must have a KA9Q TCP/IP
SMTP server running.  Amateur radio operators running TCP/IP over
radio may already be familar with NOS.  NOS is stored on
THUMPER.BELLCORE.COM  NOS was written by Phil Karn, KA9Q.

The network version of View runs much differently.  This version
has been compiled with a novell library.  This allow view to use
the network functions of novell.  If you are running view on a
network,  an utility machine must be setup.  The utility machine
runs POSTMAN.  In the 'real' world, if the postman is not
working, then no mail is delivered.  This is the same for the
View mailer.  POSTMAN delivers the mail from user to user.  The
POSTMAN can handle up to 16 servers.  If you have a gateway
machine running KA9Q NOS, the postman will send and receive
Internet mail onto the novell network.

VIEW is stored on HAMSTER.BUSINESS.UWO.CA
ip address: 129.100.22.100
Anonymous FTP supported.
Pull all files into your machine and print all text files.

I haven't tried View yet, tho I have it;

cc:Mail  is a possible solution, but I think it may be way over my budget.

WordPerfect Office is another possibility, esp. since we already use it on
our Novell LAN, and have it installed on our Data General, under AOS/VS;
we don't have the 2 setups communicating, but we may try, and also get it
going under Unix;

I got a call from a guy who said his company has a product capable of
delivering mail Novell  <--> Unix; I don't have the name of the company handy
but when I get the description in the mail, I'll follow up;

When we get around to making a decision, I'll post a summary.

Has anyone looked into Interactive's Netware port? I have the description at
work, but I've not paid much attention as we're switching from ISC to SCO..

If it happens to be a worthwhile networking solution, I may look again tho,..

tim
tjreynol at zephyr.cair.du.edu