Dell System V Release 4

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Wed Jan 30 06:56:31 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan28.212845.18306 at hssiarl.uucp> morris at hssiarl.uucp (Morris Forbes) writes:

| The only real problem I found was with the installation of their TCP/IP
| using a WD 8003E and tying to a thick ethernet drop through an external
| transceiver.  The self configuration they have builtin to the system
| does not appear to handle thick ethernet properly (they tell me it
| works fine with thin).

  We were a beta site and saw that same problem. They were very helpful
and even offered to have someone come out if we couldn't fix it. We
thought it might be confused by our class A network. The guys at Dell
were sure we had the wrong net mask and broadcast address ;-)

  I'm waiting to try it with a GRX card, and I hope the performance is
better on that system. With the 640x480 I've been running tvtwm (the
virtual root window twm) and that works very well if you have enough
memory. That's true of all V.4 I've tried, they suck memory.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX