Compiling GNU C 1.38 in SCO Unix System V 3.2

Chip Salzenberg chip at tct.uucp
Thu Jan 3 03:17:04 AEST 1991

According to akk at korppi.tut.fi (Kautonen Ari):
>2. Run: sh config.gcc i386-sco

It looks like my SCO support for 1.37.1 made it into 1.38.  Excellent!
Now I can stop mailing my patches to a new SCO user each week.  :-)

>3. Add following type-cast to rtl.c line 679
>
>   Old:
>   676:	  /* get vector length and allocate it */
>   677:	  XVEC (return_rtx, i) = (list_counter
>   678:				  ? rtvec_alloc (list_counter)
>   679:				  : NULL);
>
>   New:
>	  /* get vector length and allocate it */
>	  XVEC (return_rtx, i) = (list_counter
>				  ? rtvec_alloc (list_counter)
>				  : (struct rtvec_def *) NULL);

This change is only needed if you neglect to fix SCO's include files,
which have conflicting definitions for NULL.  That's right, SCO can't
even agree within the development staff as to what NULL should be.
<sigh>

The fix is very simple, and it not only fixes this problem, it also
gets rid of many compilation warnings in the bargain.  Just hunt down
all the definitions of NULL in /usr/include and make sure that all of
them define NULL as "0", not "((void *)0)".  Presto!  No more warnings
about "conflicting pointer types".
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip at tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
"Please don't send me any more of yer scandalous email, Mr. Salzenberg..."