Norton Bugs (was: Sound driver ?)

WB3FFV howardl at wb3ffv.ampr.org
Tue Jan 29 11:30:26 AEST 1991

>From article <1991Jan28.055729.622 at chinet.chi.il.us>, by pdg at chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Guthrie):
>
> I just wish that the companies doing this package for Norton could
> get the Unerase capability working as well as the speaker.  We went
> from 2 filesystems running this on an ISC system to taking it
> off altogether because of kernal panics and hangs directly
> attributable to this package, and then the same on AT&T Unix.
> The same story from two other local sites.  It is completely
> unusable.
> --
> Paul Guthrie

Humm, I am wondering if that many people are really having problems with
the Norton Utilities?  I have been using the Norton System V Utilities
here on my 486 based ISC 2.2 UNIX system since it's initial release, and
I don't believe it has caused the machine to die yet.  I at one point
had a panic, but I believe it was due to an insufficient number of streams
buffers in the host based IP package, as it didn't happened before I put IP
online, and has not happened since increasing the streams buffers.  What
problems are people seeing with Norton (panic messages, etc..), as I can
at least note it and keep an eye out.  I generally find that norton works
very nice here, as I hve fine tuned the rulesets, and can run through with
purge and see just what it is keeping around just incase (which I hope I
never need to use :-).  Well that is about all I have here, and was very
suprised to see the bad reports.

Internet  : howardl at wb3ffv.ampr.org	|	Howard D. Leadmon
UUCP      : wb3ffv!howardl		|	Advanced Business Solutions
TELEX     : 152252474     		|	210 E. Lombard St - Suite 410
FAX       : (301)-244-8790              |       Baltimore, MD 21202
PACKET    : WB3FFV @ WB3FFV.MD.USA.NA   |       Phone: (301)-576-8635