Asynch session hangs .. any suggestions?

Leigh Clayton loc at yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM
Thu Jan 24 09:56:39 AEST 1991

 I run 386/ix 2.0.2, run a T2500 through a Computone 8-port card. (I
use the Computone just to increase my news-feed throughput .. which was
awful without it.) The PC is an Intel S302 (386-25) with 8M mainstore.

 There are quite a few extras on the box, but I don't think they're
relevant to the question I'm asking since the hangs only happen to one
person dialing in, and have never hit me though I dial in quite frequently.

 This person dials in at 2400 (he uses a GVC modem), and has tried a couple
VT100 terminal programs, including Procomm (which is what I use successfully).

 What happens to this person is that his line hangs, and nothing he can do
(including hanging up his phone and powering off his modem) can get the T2500
to hang up...it has to be manually reset to allow re-dialin (or out).

 I include here a message from the unlucky wight (he was using rn at the time)

    . Damn line is stuck again. Again, echoplexing seems to be working,
    . but no keys get a response from the system other than that.
    . I tried  ctrl x, ctrl z, ctrl c, ctrl l, break, h, ? , q, ctrl q,
    . and a few others. No go. Line is still busy after modem hangup (+++ath).

 By 'echoplexing' he means local echo, which suggests that the channel
to the Unix box is OK but the Unix shell is stuck somehow.

 He does use a rather noisy exchange, so line noise is a likely cause, but can
anyone suggest what is happening, what I can do to investigate the state of
the shell/driver (I don't have access to any Unix source, and I'm running
the standard driver (ie not FAS)), and what my user might do to reset the line
state?

 Thanks .../Leigh (And sorry for the length of this)