Asynch session hangs .. any suggestions?

Brandon Brown brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu
Sat Jan 26 02:02:52 AEST 1991

loc at yrloc.ipsa.reuter.COM (Leigh Clayton) writes:

> This person dials in at 2400 (he uses a GVC modem), and has tried a couple
>VT100 terminal programs, including Procomm (which is what I use successfully).

> What happens to this person is that his line hangs, and nothing he can do
>(including hanging up his phone and powering off his modem) can get the T2500
>to hang up...it has to be manually reset to allow re-dialin (or out).

I had the same thing happening when I was using a Practical Peripherals 2400
Baud MNP5 modem. I kept pounding on it until I decided to try a Hayes
2400 Baud Smartmodem. It has worked like a top since. I have no explaination
as to why.

Have you verified that /etc/inittab is looking at the modem control for that
device? It is usually denoted by having a "d" in the device name;
i.e. /dev/ttyd0...

|  Brandon Brown                     | Internet: brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu    |
|  Coordinated Science Laboratory    | UUCP:	 uiucuxc!addamax!brando!brown |
|  University of Illinois            | CompuServe: 73040,447                  |
|  Urbana, IL  61801                 | GEnie:    xmg23356, macbrando          |