386-33 Motherboard

Scott Campbell scott at skypod.uucp
Mon Jan 21 03:43:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan18.193434.12891 at watserv1.waterloo.edu> jching at watnow.waterloo.edu (John Y. Ching) writes:
>I am in the process of selecting a 386-33 clone.  I have the following
>questions about the motherboard design of various venders:
>2)  If I buy a 386-33 with a motherboard that has 16 MB (maximum) on board
>    but does NOT have a 32-bit slot for additional memory upgrade, am I
>    limiting my upgrade path too much?  Is there any real need for more
>    than 16 MB for a 80386-based machine, ever?

Not if all you are going to do is run DOS... certainly if you plan on
running UNIX or OS/2, you will be able to use more than 16 megs... the more
the merrier...

With 4 Meg chips available now and 64M chips "right around the corner", I
think we are about to enter a new age in memory availabilty...

Wow.. and to think that my good ol' Trash-80 came with 4 (count 'em) K and
was upgradable to (oooooohh!) 48K :-)

Of course with DOS, 16 Megs becomes 640K conventional memory and a 15.5M
ramdisk :-))))

scott
--
Scott J.M. Campbell                                        scott at skypod.uucp
Skypod Communications Inc.                      ..!uunet!scocan!skypod!scott