Missing C library functions in INTERACTIVE 386/ix 2.0.2?

Gregory G. Woodbury ggw%wolves at cs.duke.edu
Mon Jan 7 13:37:34 AEST 1991

In article <132 at limbic.ssdl.com> gil at limbic.ssdl.com (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>In article <10325 at bunny.GTE.COM> jdg0 at GTE.COM (Jose Diaz-Gonzalez) writes:
>>My libc.a seems to be missing the functions defined in regcmp(3) (regcmp
>>and regex).  I tried the shared library version with no luck. Nm does not
>>find it in either one.  Any ideas?  Cheers,
>
>If you look more carefully, you will see that you need to link with
>/lib/libPW.a.  Just specify -lPW on your cc command line

	Good answer!  however, be aware that the libPW.a archive has all
sorts of things in it that could potentially conflict whit software from
all over the place.  For example, there is a "rename" entry in the PW
library that is NOT posix or BSD compatible!  Trying to use libPW in
a situation where you need a posix rename(2) is going to cause trouble.

	The best solution I have found was to use that ar command to
extract the two object modules concerned, regex.o and regcmp.o, from the
libPW archive and make another archive /usr/lib/libregex.a to hold them.
Then for programs that need regex, I can tell the makefile to include
-lregex in the link step (as a termial argument to the c compiler).

	BTW, if you want posix stuff for some of the older system 5s out
there (like sVr2) check out the posix library that Eric Raymond has in
the beta TMNN-netnews (available from uunet).
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]
Domain: ggw at cds.duke.edu     ggw%wolves at mcnc.mcnc.org
[The line eater is a boojum snark! ]           <standard disclaimers apply>