Lotus 123 r2.2 patch for PC-Interface

Ken Weaverling weave at brahms.udel.edu
Sun Jan 6 13:44:22 AEST 1991

I recently tried installing Lotus 1-2-3 version 2.2 server on a UNIX
system that uses PC-Interface for file serving.

The program would not open a spreadsheet. It reported it as being locked
by another user. After tracing it through, I found that when a user opens
a spreadsheet, 123 issues a record lock on bytes 0 through FFFF FFFF FFFF FFFF.
He then reads in the spreadsheet and then unlocks the file.

PC-Interface returns a LOCK VIOLATION on this call (apparently sees it as an
attempt to lock from record 0 to -1 !!!). A simple patch to change this to
7FFF FFFF FFFF FFFF fixed the problem.

The patch is to 123.CMP

Search for
   2B D2 BE FF FF
Change to
   2B D2 BE FF 7F

This allows the spreadsheets to load properly. Other problems exist though.
123 does not believe it is running under a network, so it does NOT use the
/lotshare license counter scheme. Nor can you do file reservations. It
makes this determination when it opens the file 123.DLD. After opening the
file, it asks DOS if it is a remote or local handle. PC-Interface returns
that it is a local handle (merge/386 has a command to control how this
is reported, but my rev of PC-Interface (2.8.7) does not.

Since Merge/386 and PC-Interface are both by Locus, perhaps this problem
occurs in Merge/386 as well. I have not tried Lotus 123 2.2 under merge yet.