How is collect/collect2 used?

moore at forty2.enet.dec.com moore at forty2.enet.dec.com
Tue Jun 25 23:49:45 AEST 1991

I've just (finally) succeeded in building g++ and collect. Can anyone tell me
what for or how the programs collect and collect2 are used? I'm not using COFF-
encapsulation so, according to the documentation, I have to use collect in
place of the UNIX ld. So do I simply link collect to /usr/bin/ld, and expect
to use g++?

One other question: I could only build collect by using COFF, and not
EXTENDED_COFF in the definition for CFLAGS in  the Makefile. Is there a
difference?

I'm running ISC SVR3.2.

Thanks for any advice that you may have.

- Paul