time(0L) - history of a misconception (was Re: SCO password generator)

Andre van Dalen andre at targon.UUCP
Sun Jun 2 07:37:10 AEST 1991

In article <381 at tmcsys.UUCP> lh at aega84.UUCP (L. Hirschbiegel) writes:
  >In article <1141 at mwtech.UUCP> martin at mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes:
  >>In article <588 at sherpa.UUCP> rac at sherpa.UUCP (Roger Cornelius) writes:
  >>[...]
  >>>     long seed = time(0L);
  >>                       ^^--------- wrong
  >>                 time((long *)0);
[ removed assembler listing (gives us a clue :-) ]

  >>Repeat after me: POINTER to long.
  >
  >Repeat after me: IT DOESN'T MATTER :-)

Never worked under MSDOeSn't in different memory models or on 64 bit
machines have you?

--
The mail|    AAA         DDDD  It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase.
demon...|   AA AAvv   vvDD  DD        Ketchup is a vegetable.