Strange interaction between tape and networking...

Gary Heston gary at sci34hub.sci.com
Fri Jun 21 02:35:45 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun19.125524.13934 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
=gary at sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:

=>I am having a strange problem with interaction between TCP/IP
=>networking software and tape backups. Generally, if the networking
=>stuff is working, the system will not produce a readable tape
=>of any length. I can usually get a meg or two to write and read
=>back, but not always.

=This sounds like a hardware configuration problem.  You need to check
=and ensure that the two cards (network and tape controller) are not
=colliding on interrupt or memory address ranges (sounds more like
=memory address range).

The tape drive is a SCSI device, driven from the same board (called
an MSP, mass storage processor) as the hard drives and floppy. The
Ethernet board is a Micom/Interlan (now Racal/Interlan) NP-322.
All are jumpered as per specs; I have no other interaction problems.
The system will stay up for weeks without problems. I think if an
interrupt was set wrong or there was a memory conflict, I'd be
having far more problems. Telnet, ftp, etc., all work fine.

As I said initially, strange.

--
Gary Heston   System Mismanager and technoflunky   uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.    SCI Systems, Inc.       gary at sci34hub.sci.com
I support drug testing. I believe every public official should be given a
shot of sodium pentathol and ask "Which laws have you broken this week?".