Secondary Adaptec SCSI controller on ISC v2.2

Rick Kelly rmk at rmkhome.UUCP
Thu Jun 13 07:44:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun9.181922.25392 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
>I recently purchased a secondary Adaptec 1540B (no floppy) controller for my
>386/25MHz machine to attach an Archive Viper 150S to for backups.
>
>After installing all of the hardware into this already running machine, I
>rebuilt the kernel after configuring the HPDD under kconfig, option 8. Now,
>when I boot the machine, it gives "Booting the UNIX system...." and hangs.
>
>I originally thought it might have been the way the card was set up, but I
>verified that it was at the standard defaults by the manual, as well as
>examining /etc/conf/kconfig.d/space.dsk.gen and
>/etc/conf/kconfig.d/space.tape.gen.
>
>My system configuration is: (after stripping out any unnecessary components..)
>
>	AMI 80386/25MHz no cache, or FPU
>	8mb Memory
>	Adaptec ESDI Floppy/Hard Controller
>	Western Digitial Paradise VGA Card
>	Two 338mb CDC ESDI drives setup as type 47 (User defined type) with
>		1222 cyls, 15hds, 36 sec/trk
>	and of course,
>	an Adaptec 1540B SCSI controller with an archive viper 150s attached
>		internally at ID 6.
>
>Trying the obvious with the SCSI tape drive, i.e. setting the ID at 0,3, or 6,
>and trying it external showed no effect.
>
>From a previous posting to this group, I think I remember reading that you
>cannot leave the BIOS disabled for the SCSI card to work (JP6, jumper 1), so
>this jumper is in place.
>
>In addition, when booting, after the machine's diagnostic as installed both
>C and D drives to the internal HDs, the Adaptec banner screen comes up with
>C: and D: already installed, not installing SCSI BIOS or something similar.
>
>Does this all mean that you can have a SCSI controller as a secondary controller
>but only if you have but one standard AT drive installed?

I attempted to set up some development systems with ISC 2.2.  I was going to
use an ST506 controller for the root drive, and an Adaptec 1540A for extra
storage and a tape drive.  I could not get this to work with even one ST506
drive installed.  Either the ISC kernel wants to boot from the SCSI if it
is installed or there is some strange contention between the drivers.

Eventually, after a lot of experimenting, I tossed the ST506 controller, and
used the SCSI as the primary controller.  I was going to call ISC, but I
never got around to it.

Rick Kelly	rmk at rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk at frog.UUCP