Secondary Adaptec SCSI controller on ISC v2.2

Marty Strakhovsky marty at hbiso.ma02.bull.com
Sun Jun 23 11:44:08 AEST 1991

In <9106121244.40 at rmkhome.UUCP> rmk at rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) writes:

>In article <1991Jun9.181922.25392 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
>>I recently purchased a secondary Adaptec 1540B (no floppy) controller for my
>>386/25MHz machine to attach an Archive Viper 150S to for backups.
>>
>>After installing all of the hardware into this already running machine, I
>>rebuilt the kernel after configuring the HPDD under kconfig, option 8. Now,
>>when I boot the machine, it gives "Booting the UNIX system...." and hangs.
>>
>>I originally thought it might have been the way the card was set up, but I
>>verified that it was at the standard defaults by the manual, as well as
>>examining /etc/conf/kconfig.d/space.dsk.gen and
>>/etc/conf/kconfig.d/space.tape.gen.

There is a problem with the software when configuring an adaptec as a
second controller. The default dma for the controller is 5 but in
/etc/conf/kconfig.d/space.tape.gen it is hard coded as 6 for a second
controller. (look for ifdef AS1 or AS2) Either change the controllers
jumpers or the file. If you change the software, reconfigure the HPDD with
kconfig and double check that space.c in /etc/conf/pack.d/aha1540 has the
right dma specified (after reconfiguring).

J. Martin Strakhovsky                |	The views expressed are my own etc.
Bull HN Information Systems          |  508-294-5060
Technology Park                      |  marty at hbiso.ma02.bull.com
Billerica MA 01821                   |  uunet!hbiso!marty
Technology Park                          |  marty at hbiso.ma02.bull.com
Billerica MA 01821                       |  uunet!hbiso!marty