Reliable Clock

lance.norskog lance at motcsd.csd.mot.com
Wed Jun 5 03:33:29 AEST 1991

briant at tsltor.uucp (Brian Taylor) writes:

>We run several "pseudo" real time applications on our UNIX systems (ISC 2.2.1)
>but notice that like all DOS systems, the clock on these systems leaves a LOT
>to be desired (to say the very least).

>Could anyone recommend a reliable clock (i.e., one that wouldn't lose more than
>a few seconds yearly or better) that is supported under ISC?  Any ideas of whom
>I can contact is also welcome.

By real-time do you mean minutes, seconds, or milliseconds?

If you need second-level accuracy, you can get a box that listens
to sattelite radio and gives you a serial feed.  Also, there are phone
numbers where people who have these boxes feed them into the phone.

For millisecond accuracy, you can use one of these lab I/O cards
with counter-timers.  You'll have to write your own device driver.

Lance