pointers needed: X and Interactive SysV

Heiko Blume src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de
Fri Jun 21 06:50:50 AEST 1991

bgribble at jarthur.claremont.edu (Bill Gribble) writes:

>My company installed a Zeos 486 box to run Interactive SysV.  Since the
>  Interactive X product is priced at ~$800, we opted not to purchase it.

>If one were to want to set up a do-it-yourself X on a 486 unix box, what's
>  needed and what's available free, by FTP or otherwise?  We would like to
>  get X up and are willing to do some reasonably serious programming.  Oh-
>  we are using a Speedstar SVGA card.

i'd recommend to get X11 release 4 on tape since you probably don't
want to get ~60MB per ftp...btw: make sure to get it at patchlevel 18.

then you should buy a ET4000 VGA card (if the following doesn't
support that speedstar thing) and get X386-1.1b from a ftp
server (only 800KB). you'll get 1024x768 with 256 colors and quite
good performance (and circular windows).

>Please tell me I don't have to try to get *another* thousand bucks
>  to get X running...

only if you don't have the diskspace to compile a monster like X :-)
--
   Heiko Blume <-+-> src at scuzzy.in-berlin.de <-+-> (+49 30) 691 88 93 [voice!]
                  public UNIX source archive [HST V.42bis]: