ODT C Compiler Problem

BBS Administration bbs at alchemy.UUCP
Wed Jun 5 07:40:57 AEST 1991

I just installed v1.0.1 of the development system on my v1.1 ODT machine. I
originally installed the entire development system, but when this problem
occurred, I thought it might "go away" if I removed everything and installed
only the OS portion of it. After installing only the OS portion of the
Dev. System, the problem still persists.

I wrote a test program that simply writes "Hello World" to the screen (we've
all seen this before) just as a test to see if everything was installed
correctly before I transfer over all my source and begin my port from
SCO Xenix 386 to ODT Unix SVR3.2. Well, using either "make test.c" or
"cc test.c" I get the same message:

Compiler error : Floating point exception

That makes it sound as if the compiler (in pass 2 -- I tried "cc -d" for
debugging output and it got to "P2:" and was executing " /lib/386/p2_386"
when this message was printed) is crashing by itself, not because of
incorrect input.

This system is comprised of an Intel i80386 motherboard and a bunch of
other clone hardware. The ODT system itself runs fine including TCP/IP
and NFS and the server upgrade stuff and everything, so I can't
understand why this program doesn't work correctly. If this is a known
problem with the Dev. System release 1.0.1, I'd like to know how to
get an update.

HELP!

-- John

John Donahue, Senior Partner | UUCP: ucrmath!alchemy!{bbs, gumby} | The Future
  Alchemy Software Designs   | INET: {bbs, gumby}@alchemy.UUCP    | Begins Now