Installing SCO

Ti Kan ti at bazooka.Altos.COM
Sun Jun 30 03:36:06 AEST 1991

In article <1188 at pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de> ralfi at pemcom.pem-stuttgart.de (Ralf U. Holighaus) writes:
>I don't really think the 8110 is supported by SCO. The only controller
>supported without problems (yes, even the WD-7000FASST II makes problems)
>is the Adaptec 1542B and all [ really ] compatible boards.

Although SCO supports the Adaptec 154x SCSI host adapter, it has
such a poorly implemented device driver that your disk performance
will suffer.  SCO's Adaptec driver has no disk request sorting,
does not do any effective scatter/gatter, and is in many other
ways quite inefficient.  We have full SCO source license at Altos
and therefore I know its limitations.  Sorry if I may have pissed
anyone off by stating this, but this is reality.

By contrast, Altos' own highly-optimized Adaptec driver has about
a 10x performance advantage over SCO on disk intensive benchmarks.
Of course, this is not all due to the Adaptec driver since Altos
has also optimized the filesystem and buffer cache.
The only way you can get the Altos driver is to have Altos UNIX,
but then in order to get that you have to have bought an Altos
machine.  ALtos currently doesn't sell its UNIX release as a
standalone product.

-Ti
--
   ///   Ti Kan
  ///    Internet: ti at bazooka.altos.com
 /////   UUCP:     ...!{uunet|sun|sco|apple|amdahl|pyramid}!altos!bazooka!ti
///      vorsprung durch technik!