ISC NFS ulimit and su

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Sat Jun 29 08:12:39 AEST 1991

heimir at rhi.hi.is (Heimir Thor Sverrisson) writes:

>1) I cannot specify root access from my client in /etc/exports. I've also
>   seen this limitation in other ports of NFS, but most of them have solved
>   this.  Is there a fix/upgrade available somewhere for this?

There is a kludge that I put together that allows you to change the nobody
variable in the kernel to 0 so that root users on your clients will get
root priveleges on your file systems.  However this is an all or nothing
kludge - either all of your clients get root, or none of them.  Anyway
the program (kernmod) has been posted here a couple of times.  If you
can't find it anywhere closer to home, let me know and I will send it to
you.

>2) I cannot copy a file that is bigger than 4096 blocks onto a NFS-mounted
>   filesystem, even though I've raised ULIMIT to 122000 in /etc/default/login.
>   How come?

This is because the nfs daemons are starting up with the kernel ulimit,
not your /etc/default/login ulimit.  See the FAQ for a complete description
of how to set your ulimit (if you don't have a copy, you can wait till next
week for me to post the new one, or send me email and I will send you the
current issue).
--
I guess these are the views of VTI - since it is my consulting company.

Conor P. Cahill              (703)430-9247              uunet!virtech!cpcahil
Virtual Technologies, Inc.  46030 Manekin Plaza            Sterling, VA 22170