vi and rlogin

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Sat Jun 8 16:58:16 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun07.012603.4449 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>Rlogin does not eat ESCs.  The problem with using multi-byte keys over
>a network is that there may be enough of a delay between the characters
>in the sequence that a program sees them as separate sequences.

No, I guarantee there is at least one version of rlogin that SCO shipped
that ate ESC's.  A friend of mine fixed it, after finding out, during one
session (in which he'd rlogin'd to one machine, and rlogin'd from there to a
third, and then ran emacs on the third) that he had to press <esc> *27 times*
to get one across.  (Each rlogin [not rlogind] ate three escapes, and spit out
one in return; thus, 3 esc's on localhost to get one esc to host1; 9 esc's on
localhost to get three esc's to host1 to get 1 esc to host2; and 27 esc's
on localhost to get 9 esc's to host1 to get 3 esc's to host2 to get 1 esc
to host3.)

There may be a problem with function keys over the network, but emacs
doesn't *care* about that, so there aren't any timing problems.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."