vi and rlogin

IT Manager jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Fri Jun 7 23:22:57 AEST 1991

In article <RHARMON.91Jun6093442 at triton.srg>, rharmon at srg (Robert B. Harmon x4964) writes:

> I believe rlogin eats ESCs so arrow keys (instead of klhj) will not
> work.
>
> The telnet command implements a virtual terminal protocol and
> arrow keys will work.

I received the suggestion to use

:set notimeout

in vi, and sure enough, it works just great (although I do have to hit ESC
twice sometimes to get out of INPUT MODE, but that's a small trade off for
being able to use my arrows keys with rlogin).

> Perhaps this should be a FAQ is probably is already somewhere.
> In article <852 at tiamat.fsc.com> jim at tiamat.fsc.com ( IT Manager) writes:
> >>
> >>  I remember seeing something about this once, so I checked the FAQ and
> >>  it wasn't there, so I'll ask again.
> >>

> :) :) Of course emacs doesn't have this problem :) :)

One of these days I'll probably install emacs, but I'm still reluctant
to have more than one OS on a machine at a time. :-)

James B. O'Connor			jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Ahlstrom Filtration, Inc.		615/821-4022 x. 651