more ISC: binary portability; ISC 2.2, ISC 2.2.1

gregory d moncreaff dorsai at iear.arts.rpi.edu
Thu Jun 27 03:17:53 AEST 1991

first i'd like to thank those who responded to my questions reguardin
ISC and wd7000 scsi boards and the meaning of the number of users in
the software description.

my question now relates to binary portability between unix systems. the
unix i purchased came without a development system. i am wondering if,
for example, gcc was compiled on another ISC system. could that
compiled copy of gcc be copied onto my system and run well enough
so that i can do a clean compile to produce a stable development system
using the various gnu software utilities.

also, there is some push towards the 'posix' standard. are binaries
between different posix complient os's compatible?

has anyone attempted to do something like i've mentioned above in trying
to avoid the expense of purchasing shrink-wrapped development systems?
any pointers, annecdotal experience, etc would be most appreciated...

sincerely, greg moncreaff ... treading on thin isce ...
--
software engineer	gregory d moncreaff	computer systems engineering
ms: ma30-830a		====================	3006 hunt 2