fsck Recovery From Crashes

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.COM
Tue Jun 4 15:40:04 AEST 1991

>This brings to mind a utility I've been meaning to write.  It
>would run daily and make an index by inode number of each
>filesystem to make it easier to figure out what was what in a
>lost+found directory after a crash.

>Before I reinvent another wheel, has anyone already done this?

The ncheck program - if it exists in your version of UNIX - does
exactly this.  It was a standard part of the system through at
least V7 and is still part of BSD.

--
Ed Gould			No longer formally affiliated with,
ed at mtxinu.COM			and certainly not speaking for, mt Xinu.

"I'll fight them as a woman, not a lady.  I'll fight them as an engineer."