isc 2.2 && wd7000-fasst

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Sat Jun 15 09:36:13 AEST 1991

dorsai at iear.arts.rpi.edu (gregory d moncreaff) writes:
>	i getting a copy of isc 2.2, currently my hard drives run off
>of a wd7000-fasst scsi board. according to the boards manual, isc 2.2
>is supported. according to isc, only future domain and adaptek scsi
>boards are supported currently.

Maybe WD provides an ISC driver.  I do know that ISC is working on a driver
boot drive, a 100 Mb would be a minimal choice if you're going to do a full
call WD to be sure.

>	has anyone setup isc 2.2 in such a configuration? this being the
>first attempt at setting up unix on any machine, i would appreciate any
>advice, experiences, etc reguarding first time installs and isc.

I personally would set your boot drive to an ST412/506, ESDI or IDE drive and
use the SCSI as secondary storage.  It is a far less pain in the rear to get
something your 386 BIOS recognizes internally to boot than it is to get a SCSI
to boot.  This is just a recommendation for the sake of simplicity.  For a
boot drive, a 100 Mb would be a minimal choice if you're going to do a full
install of ISC 2.2.x.  My philosopy is give yourself plenty of room.  Then
install the SCSI drives as your secondary storage.

>	also, one of the first things i gather i need to do is make
>duplicates of the install floppy. can i do this with dos?

Yes, you can copy the disks with MS-DOS 3.30 diskcopy.  Be sure to use 3.30,
the previous version of diskcopy will only copy valid MS-DOS file systems
while 3.30 diskcopy does a simple sector copy.  This works with SCO Xenix and
ISC with no problem.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | What to buy?
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | EISA or MCA?
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | When will the bus wars end?
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca