Bad Hertz Value

Robert den Hartog rden at rden.gen.nz
Sun Jun 30 11:33:46 AEST 1991

In article <801 at minya.UUCP> jc at minya.UUCP (John Chambers) writes:
>This isn't a real big deal, but I've been getting curious...
>
>On this ESIX system, whenever anyone logs in on a  serial  port,  they
>always get the messages:
>	Bad Hertz Value
>	Using 100 from (sys/param.h)
>This doesn't seem to hurt anything, but it's  a  bit  annoying.   I've
>tried to track it down, but so far I've gotten no hint as to who might
>be generating these messages.  Does anyone have a clue as  to  who  is
>complaining, and what they might be complaining about?

Check in your /etc/default/login file for a HZ=100 line, if it's not there,
put it in.

Also some time ago source code for a replacement login.c was posted to
alt.sources, for some reason the HZ= line was parsed from /etc/default/login,
but was never exported (putenv()'d).  If you are using this, check it out.

It's probably csh doing the complaining (strings /bin/csh certainly shows the
message), I'm not too sure why it needs it, /bin/sh shows no strings entries
for the word hertz.
--
The spelling mistakes aren't mine, they're the computers.
Hey, have a nice one.

Sorry, just me again, I seem to have lost my EOF somewhere.  Aha, there it is