Trying to stop "pg", "more" or "less" jobs with "^Z" under ISC 2.2

Saul Lubkin lubkin at cs.rochester.edu
Mon Jun 17 07:14:19 AEST 1991

support at isc.com wrote a response to a question of mine:

>The job control in the c shell is broken. This is a known bug and it will
>be fixed in the next release. If you try ctrl-Z in vi from a borne shell
>you'll see it also works. The problem is in the cshell job control.
>Sorry not to give you any new information, just confirmation.

I don't think that that's entirely correct.  When I run /bin/sh, as a
login shell, and run vi under it, the resulting vi job cannot be
stopped by "Cntrl-Z".

Vi jobs under csh can be stopped, as expected.

My original question was:

>If you are running a job like

>pg /etc/profile

>under the C shell, with ISC 2.2, then "Control Z" (or whatever is the stop
>character) won't stop it.  Similarly for "more".  (Vi jobs stop fine.)

>I downloaded the PD program "less", compiled it, and found that "less"
>also couldn't be stopped with "Control Z".

>"Less" jobs under the Sun OS are stoppable with "Control Z".

>Is there any fix?

It seems to me that the problem may be in the terminal handler.  It looks
like, when running, e.g., pg -- or even vi in input mode -- the "Control-Z"
doesn't get intercepted by the tty driver, but just passes through to the
program.  Perhaps some stty aetting might fix this?

I should note that, I've compiled a POSIX job-controlled version of bash
under ISC 2.2 that works quite well -- but it has the same problems as
csh, when you try to stop a "pg", "more", or "less" job with "Control-Z"
(or a "vi" job that is not in control mode.)

Anyone have any ideas?

		Sincerely yours,

		Saul Lubkin