System Profiler, where is it?

Jerry Whelan guru at buhub.bradley.edu
Wed Jun 19 02:39:21 AEST 1991

	I am attempting to enable kernel profiling on an AT&T 6386e/33 WGS-S
running SVR4 2.1.  It isn't working.  The Sys Admin's Guide refers to
/usr/sbin/prfld which exists on my system.  However, when I run it, it
comes back with "error: cannout open /dev/prf"  I don't have a /dev/prf.
I checked on a 486 machine here and it does have a /dev/prf but it exhibits
the same problem.  Just to see if it could be done, I mknod'ed a /dev/prf
with the major and minor numebrs of the 486's /dev/prf.  Still no go, I
get the same error message.
	I don't see any mention of kernel profiling being a separate package
for SVR4.  I have sar (& associates) running fine on the system.  Has anyone
be able to turn get kernel profiling running on their machine?