AT&T SV3.2 for 486, will it work ?

herbert.tam htam at cbnewsi.att.com
Wed Jun 19 07:16:06 AEST 1991

  I am having a problem with my new 486 machine and AT&T SV386 3.2.
When I try to install the UNIX system into the machine with the
installation disk #1, it gives me a "Booting UNIX system" message
and then hang. In addition, it locked the keyboard (even the NUM
and CAPS lock LEDs will not come on.)

  I try changing my SCSI hard drive to an IDE, and it won't help.
I even try disabling my hard disk controller, and boot it only
with two floppy drives, it still remained the same. However, I
have no problem installing the UNIX system into my other 386
machine. I have used norton utlities to verify my BIOS, RAM,
Hard disk, etc.

  Anybody has any success installing AT&T SV3.2 on a 486 platform ?
In addition, I would appreciate if anyone can post something about
what the kernel will perform before it gives a "total memory = XXXX;
available memory = XXXX" message (i.e. after the "Booting UNIX system"
message and before the "total memory =" message.)

  My system configuration :

     80486-33 with 64K external cache (tried both cache enable and disable)
     16M memory - 80 ns
     AMI BIOS  Apr/90 (tried both shawdow ROM enable & disable)
     300 Meg SCSI Drive with Furture Domain Firmware
     1.2 M & 1.4 M drive

  Thanks in advance and I will try to post a summary/conclusion
after all the replies.