Pissing & moaning about SCSI (was: Performance of 80486 based machines running Unix)

Ross Alexander rwa at cs.athabascau.ca
Wed Jun 26 02:01:03 AEST 1991

balson at 3d.enet.dec.com writes:
>In article <1991Jun22.064103.15333 at leland.Stanford.EDU>,
>fangchin at leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes...
>>In article <1991Jun22.015603.14718 at virtech.uucp>,
>>cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>>The drives are OEMed from Maxtor, I don't understand why BIG BLUE like to rip
	[flaming deleted]
>	Hmmm, yea, DEC does the same thing. I'm not sure what the exact price
	[flaming deleted]
>I should be able to install any SCSI disk that I have for my PC into any
>workstation and visa versa. But I cant.
	[flaming deleted]

I'm running DEC drives in Sun boxes, HP and CDC drives in Suns, 3b2s,
and DECs, random Quantums and Maxtors in Suns, DECs, and PCs, and
Ghods knows what all in who knows what.  And Exabytes on DEC, Sun, and
AT&T.  Now what is all this bitching about?  You're discussing your
OWN limitations, not the hardwares'.  Get the doc, read it, get someone
to show you the ropes, it CAN be done (and is).

(If you really want some fun, go play with SMD/E drives for a while.
Makes SCSI look like lego blocks).

--
Ross Alexander    rwa at cs.athabascau.ca    (403) 675 6311    ve6pdq
		`You were s'posed to laugh!' -- Zippy