Performance of 80486 based machines running Unix

Bill Heiser bill at unixland.natick.ma.us
Wed Jun 26 09:13:18 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun24.214207.21425 at engage.pko.dec.com> balson at 3d.enet.dec.com (My name is...) writes:

>on the open market/mail order for PC's. the only difference being that
>micro code was added to prevent them from being used in any machine other than
>a DEC workstation. This in my opinion, is *NOT* what open systems is all about.
>I should be able to install any SCSI disk that I have for my PC into any
>workstation anad visa versa. But I cant. Because I cannot do this makes those
>machines proprietary not matter how *OPEN* those manafactures say they are. I

This is ABSURD!!!!  What does DEC have to gain by making their drives
unusable by "the rest of the world?"  Nobody would pay ridiculous
DEC prices for DEC drives for other machines anyway, but the principle
stinks.

Does anyone know if SUN does the same ??  or can a Sun drive be moved
to another non-Sun machine ??

--
bill at unixland.natick.ma.us     ...!uunet!think!unixland!bill
OR ..!uunet!world!unixland!bill     heiser at world.std.com
Public Access Unix 508-655-3848(2400)   508-651-8723(HST)  508-651-8733(PEP-V32)