Mapping abs sector numbers to files

Marco S Hyman marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us
Sun Jun 16 04:40:36 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun14.181849.3725 at newshost.anu.edu.au> cmf851 at anu.oz.au (Albert Langer) writes:
 > Sorry if I have misunderstood this thread. My understanding is that
 > SCSI drives normally map out bad sectors themselves and neither report
 > defects to the operating system nor make use of a manufacturer's defect
 > list. If that is wrong, somebody please tell me. If it is right then
 > the discussion seems pointless unless I have misunderstood it.
 >
 > (I am assuming that AHA 1452 is a typo for AHA 1542 SCSI host adaptor).

Yep.  The SCSI controller is a 1542A.  Using 386/ix 2.0.2 and a pair of
Seagate 80 MByte drives (I forget the number) I get hard errors reported to
the console.  Automatic mad sector mapping is NOT performed.  This is a GOOD
thing as the hard errors are usually (more than 98% of the time) not hard
errors. That is I can copy files, get errors on the original file, look at
the copy, and find nothing wrong.  I suspect the cheap Seagate drives -- or
the fact that I'm running two of them.

The last time I mapped out a bad sector by hand I lost a chunk of the
/usr/lib/news directory.  (I always wait until after doing a full backup
before mapping anything out).  Think of the problems that would occur of this
happened automatically.

// marc
--
// home: marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us		pacbell!dumbcat!marc