Mapping abs sector numbers to files

Albert Langer cmf851 at anu.oz.au
Sat Jun 15 04:18:49 AEST 1991

In article <1055 at dumbcat.sf.ca.us> marc at dumbcat.sf.ca.us (Marco S Hyman) writes:

>That is exactly what I did.  The surprising part is that the manufacturer
>defect list is empty on both disks and that the 386/ix format/scan (or does it
>use the AHA 1452 format/scan?) has never found an error.  I entered the ones
>that I noted on a manual log, though.  We'll see how long this lasts.  It
>seems I have to do this every 6 months or so.

Sorry if I have misunderstood this thread. My understanding is that
SCSI drives normally map out bad sectors themselves and neither report
defects to the operating system nor make use of a manufacturer's defect
list. If that is wrong, somebody please tell me. If it is right then
the discussion seems pointless unless I have misunderstood it.

(I am assuming that AHA 1452 is a typo for AHA 1542 SCSI host adaptor).

--
Opinions disclaimed (Authoritative answer from opinion server)
Header reply address wrong. Use cmf851 at csc2.anu.edu.au