SCO Unix 3.2.2 ksh seems to hang mmdf->uucp connection

jim morris jim at shograf.com
Wed Jun 19 09:58:17 AEST 1991

On a SCO Unix SYSvR3.2
Has anyone else noticed this problem?? I am trying to localize it.

It seems that someone whose login shell is /bin/ksh can cause mmdf/uucp/dialTBIT
to hang. I know it sounds strange, but it appears to be true!!

If I send mail everything works fine.
When another person sends mail it hangs the dialTBIT, or UUCICO or something.
The only difference between us is that he uses ksh as his default shell.

When we changed it back to csh, everythibng seemed to work fine.

The stranger thing is that when this hang occurs, init also hangs!!!

So init 6 has no effect. All logins that require init hang etc.

The system has to be rebooted to recover.

Can anyone else confirm this observation, or has anyone else noticed ksh
really screwing up SCO unix?? including init.

Has anyone seen init screw up so that init 6 (or anything) doesn't work anymore.

Thanks

Jim
--
Jim Morris,	E-Mail: jim at shograf.com    Voice: (415) 903-3887