Gcc 1.39 and X386 1.1b (and xfig 2.0 p10)

Guy Helmer ghelmer at dsuvax.uucp
Sat Jun 29 07:06:32 AEST 1991

In <1991Jun27.201622.22286 at serval.net.wsu.edu> hlu at yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Hongjiu Lu) writes:

>In article <1991Jun27.173040.3890 at mav.com> stu at mav.com writes:
>>After bringing up Roell's X386 1.1b, using gcc 1.39 (standard distribution,
>>not the stuff with direct support for COFF and gdb), I tried to get
>>xfig up.  I grabbed the latest copy I could find, xfig 2.0 pl10 and
>>it compiled first try without any problems.  However, upon running
>>it, it would crash the server when I tried to draw any lines.
>> [...]
>>I then recompiled miwideline.c with the stock
>>C compiler (cc) and linked X386 using gcc, and my problem was solved.

>I had the same problem regarding the floating point operation with
>gcc 1.39. I had to use cc instead of gcc for some floating point
>programs. Could anyone give us a clue?

Did you run gcc with the '-traditional' switch?  If not, I'd immediately
suspect problems with the way floating point values are passed/returned
to/from functions, since it seems likely gcc will pass floats as floats
instead of doubles (like other ANSI C compilers) if the -traditional switch
isn't specified.

I've found the changes between K&R and ANSI to be a big problem for code
that was unintentionally written to depend on K&R's parameter passing
and function value returning schemes.

Then again, I could still be under the influence of being recently
married :-) and this might have nothing to do with your problems.

--
Guy Helmer, Dakota State University Computing Services
helmer at sdnet.bitnet, dsuvax!ghelmer at wunoc.wustl.edu, ghelmer at dsuvax.dsu.edu