DOS partition with Unix

Raymond Nijssen rcbarn at rw7.urc.tue.nl
Tue Jun 4 02:04:06 AEST 1991

raj at netcom.COM (Roger Lee) writes:
>jimmyc at casbah.acns.nwu.edu (James Choi) writes:
>>I was told I can have only 30M hard disk dedicated to pure DOS if it wants
>>to co-exist with ISC Unix.  Is it true?

Depends on what you mean: If you want to be able to use this partition
under VP/ix, it's true, as VP/ix can't handle DOS extended partitions.
However, if you just want to use your native DOS partition under native
DOS, there is no reason I know of why you couldn't use as much DOS extended
partitions as you want.

>>Can I have bigger DOS disk if I use a second physical hard disk?

In my system, disk 0 has a very small 'boot-from' DOS partition, and
disk 1 has a 33MB partion, available to DOS and VP/ix as drive D:

>I am presently running Esix 5.3.2 with a 32 meg DOS 5.0 partition ...

I use DOS 3.3, among other reasons because VP/ix uses 3.3 as it came.

-Raymond

--
| Raymond X.T. Nijssen  | Eindhoven Univ. of Technology                       |
| raymond at es.ele.tue.nl | EH 7.13, PO 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, The Netherlands |