Unix drivers for LANtastic Ethernet cards

James P. Goltz frost at helix.nih.gov
Sat Jun 1 03:15:17 AEST 1991

I was talking with a co-worker today about the future of Unix, the
prospect of a port of BSD to the 386, and so on.  He remarked that it
would be fun to play around with Unix in the office except that we
couldn't hook it up to the current network (LANtastic).  I naively
asked, "Why?  Aren't the LANtastic cards Ethernet-compatible?"  He
replied that although the card-to-card interface was compatible, the
card-to-computer interface wasn't, and that drivers for the LANtastic
card weren't available as far as he knew.  I said that I'd be
surprised if someone hadn't written one somewhere.

So.  Is anyone running a network of Unix boxes off of LANtastic
Ethernet cards?  (Mail, please; I'll summarize.)

--
Spoken: James P. Goltz                 |      "The cats eat the rats,
Smart: frost at helix.nih.gov             |       the rats eat the cats,