Connecting Modem to SVR4 2.0

Kevin L. Gross klg at tc.fluke.COM
Sat Jun 1 03:16:40 AEST 1991

Hi,

I have a Gateway 2000 486-25Mhz running UHC SysVR4 v2.0. I am attempting
to connect a modem to either of the Comm ports, COM1 / COM2. I am
guessing that these translate to tty00 & tty01.

COM1 is a  9-pin connector
COM2 is a 25-pin connector

When I connect a Supra 2400 baud modem (known good) to COM1 I am using a
RadioShark 25pin-9pin adapter, which is also a null modem. This is
likely NOT supposed to be a null modem, but at least in this
configuration the TR light on the modem comes on when I use:

	cu -s2400 555-7777

I set up the modem with sysadm, but as near as I can tell, that is a
roundabout way to insert the following line in the /etc/uucp/Devices
file:

	ACU tty00 - 2400 hayes \T

I have also tried:

	ACU /dev/tty00 - 2400 hayes \T

but this doesn't even light up the TR light.

So I then connected the modem via 25pin ribbon cable to COM2 and tried
adding the tty01 port to /etc/uucp/Devices via sysadm, but it kept
trying to add /dev/tty0 ONLY and then I couldn't even remove it via
sysadm, it would let me go thru all the rigamarole, but then say,
"Not removed". I'd have to edit /etc/uucp/Devices to remove it.

I don't believe I have yet tried the following, but I would appreciate
any advice or recommendations about this problem. I'm apparently
overlooking something simple.

ACU tty00 - 2400 hayes \T   with  9 pin connector (no null modem) COM1
ACU tty01 - 2400 hayes \T   with  25 pin connector (no null modem) COM2

Any ideas?