Kermit & UUGETTY

Steve Ralston sralston at srwic.UUCP
Mon Jun 24 11:35:28 AEST 1991

peter at miller.cs.uwm.edu (Peter J. Diaz de Leon) writes:

> I am running AT&T SYS V 3.2.1 and a Trailblazer T1600.
> UUGETTY is running on the port which the Trailblazer.
>
> What I need is a version of Kermit or some other communication
> program which when invoked kills the uugetty, and allows me
> to connect to the modem and dial out.
>
> Right now if I invoke kermit and connect the login prompt
> scrolls repeatedly accross the screen.

What you need is a version of Kermit which creates the correct *type* of lock
file.  Since AT&T SYS V Release 3 distributes HoneyDanBer UUCP, I would bet
that the version of Kermit you are using is creating a [sysVr2 UUCP style]
binary lock file (4 byte integer) in /usr/spool/uucp instead of a [HDB style]
ascii lock file (11 bytes).

It's been a long while since I looked at the kermit sources, but you I think
you need to recompile it, specifically for sysvr3, or with -DHDBUUCP
(or some such) that tells it you are running HoneyDanBer UUCP.

--
Steve Ralston    (sralston at srwic.UUCP || ..!uunet!ncrcom!ncrwic!srwic!sralston)
235 N Zelta, Wichita, KS 67206