More than 32 serial ports on one board

Kenneth Herron kherron at ms.uky.edu
Sat Jun 15 12:05:32 AEST 1991

In article <28561A25.44D1 at telly.on.ca> evan at telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) writes:
>I have an application where I need to install 48, possibly more, serial
>ports on an ESIX R4 machine.
>...full modem control with hardware handshake, and I need to use RJ-45
>connectors in order to reducde wiring headaches.

I just got back from USENIX, and ARNET was showing a board capable of
running 128 serial ports from one PC slot.  You can have up to four such
boards in a machine.  The serial ports are DB-25's, not RJ connectors,
but I believe they have hardware handshake.  All my paperwork on it is
in the back of someone's car, but I can get you some info if you e-mail me.

(Which raises the question, what would you do with 512 serial ports on
a PC running unix?)
--
Kenneth Herron                                            kherron at ms.uky.edu
University of Kentucky                                       +1 606 257 2975