"rfs_read: attempt to read from non-file"

Louis Marco wrat at unisql.UUCP
Fri Jun 7 03:26:29 AEST 1991

	(First of all my thanks to all who responded to me on my gdb problems;
email's still an iffy thing here so I may not ever reply directly, but thanks
for your help.  Now for the next question... :-)

	We have a couple of dozen Suns and a single 386 running Interactive
3.2. I have a file system physically on the Sun that's the file server
mounted via nfs on the 386 box.  Sometimes (not all the time, but often
enough so that I can't work the way I want) when I do an I/O intensive
operation such that the program is executing on the 386 but the data is
read from the Sun, the console on the (Sun) file server fills up with

rfs_read: attempt to read from non-file

messages and the load averages on the server skyrocket.  What's particularly
weird is we don't have rfs installed anywhere. (The string is from
nfs_server.o, part of the Sun vmunix).  The problem only appears in Sun/386
interactions.

	If I run make on the source in the nfs-mounted directory, or copy
a large file from the nfs-mounted directory I eventually get the above.

	Why, and what should I do to make it stop?

							wr