"rfs_read: attempt to read from non-file"

ian reid ir at crosfield.co.uk
Fri Jun 7 19:51:16 AEST 1991

In article <1334 at unisql.UUCP> wrat at unisql.UUCP (Louis Marco) writes:

>	We have a couple of dozen Suns and a single 386 running Interactive
>3.2. I have a file system physically on the Sun that's the file server
>mounted via nfs on the 386 box.  Sometimes (not all the time, but often
>enough so that I can't work the way I want) when I do an I/O intensive
>operation such that the program is executing on the 386 but the data is
>read from the Sun, the console on the (Sun) file server fills up with
>
>rfs_read: attempt to read from non-file

We had a similar problem at our site when we were running ISC 2.0.1 and NFS 2.0
using a Sun 3/??? running SunOS 3.5 (in the days before it was called SunOS).
One thing that seemed to cause the problem was if the shell invoked to process
non binary scripts (set by the built-in variable shell in the C shell, or by
the environment variable SHELL for the Bourne shell) was the C shell.
Changing this to be the Bourne Shell reduced these errors greatly, but never
totally eradicated them (although it's not clear if everyone did use this
workaround).  I can't tell you if ISC 2.2 and NFS 2.1 have the same problems
because at the time we switched to 2.2 we also started using a PC box as a
fileserver, and this problem only ever occurred between a PC and a Sun.

Hope this helps!

--
Ian Reid 					#include <std/disclaimer.h>
UUCP: ir at crosfield.co.uk or    ...!{ukc,mcsun,uunet}!cel!ir