SCO rsh error message

jim morris jim at shograf.com
Sat Jun 15 12:25:12 AEST 1991

>From article <BERNT.91Jun12112411 at freya.kvatro.no>, by bernt at kvatro.no (Bernt Marius Johnsen):
> I do the following command on a VAX/VMS using TCP/IP software from
> Wollongong:
>
>> rsh durin -l chipsy (cd v12_dev; tar -xvf ../VHM.tar; rm ../VHM.tar)
>
> I get the following output from SCO 3.1.1:
>
>> tar: blocksize = 20
> [... file list deleted ...]
>> Bad Hertz Value
>> Using 100 from <sys/param.h>

This is a bug that SCO has documented for at least the last 2 releases of TCP/IP.
They don't seem to want to fix it. The latest release notes (1.1.3) have downgraded
all the TCP/IP BUGS!! (including this one) to "INCONVENIENCES"

SCO SUPPORT ....  THIS IS A DAMN BUG not an inconvenience!!

It only happens if your login shell on SCO is csh, if you change it to
sh it works fine.

A NOTE TO SCO...

Please FIX your BUGS, don't call them inconveniences!!! Sloppy programming
and QA is not easily swept under the carpet!!!

SCO users you could try ESIX or Interactive, I know ESIX try to fix their bugs.
(At least they used to last year). I can't see how interactive could be worse!

I have never seen this bug any any other system.

--
Jim Morris,	E-Mail: jim at shograf.com    Voice: (415) 903-3887
  _