Docs for Dell V4 Upgrade

Scott Evernden scotte at applix.com
Mon Jun 24 13:28:00 AEST 1991

In article <91174.005932SAACC at CUNYVM.BITNET> SAACC at CUNYVM.BITNET (Shermane Austin) writes:
>A friend of mine is upgrading from Dell's VR3 to 4. She was told that NO
>documentation comes with the software. I thought that the basic system
>installation/setup stuff is included and the rest of the documentation,
>e.g. sys admin, x, etc. must be purchased separately (from Prentice Hall)
>
>Would appreciate info on:
>   1. what docs come with upgrade
>   2. are online man pages included

I just received DELL V.4 on Friday:

DELL V.4 comes with a very useful "guide" about 1/4 inch thick providing
a cursory explanation of most aspects of the operating system.  Compared
to the pathetically minimal docs provided by the other vendors, DELL's is
by far the best.  But you shouldn't expect to get more than passing coverage
on topics like: installation (complete info); basic UNIX tasks; installing
add'l software; configuring hardware; using the sys admin facility;
backing-up UNIX; configuring X windows, terminals, printers, TCP/IP, and
SLIP; sending mail; using NFS, DOS Merge, UUCP, and VI; and info on migrating
from 3.2.

Also included is an index to the online man pages.  I'm installing DELL V.4
as I type this, but from studying the tape, I believe there is *nothing*
missing.  Even complete X man pages are included in a pkg on the tape.

So far, I'm pretty impressed.  The folks at DELL have made this purchase
simple and easy.  The installation tape is even loading without problems
from a not-recent model Wangtek SCSI drive which required kernal changes
to make work on the other vendor implementations.

I see the base installation is now done (30 mins via tape compared to like
3-4 hours from floppy, nice)...

-scott