Will Xenix 286 software run on Microport 386?

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Sat Jun 1 06:54:43 AEST 1991

In article <1991May31.134740.12735 at cbnewsl.att.com> urban at cbnewsl.att.com (john.urban) writes:
>Under UNIX System V/386 Release 4.0, the odds lower.  Why is this?  Well
>many XENIX Application don't user opendir(), readdir() ...

Mainly because there *was* no "filesystem-inedependent" way to read
directories prior to SCO XENIX 2.3.*.  ('286 and'386)  In fact, I'd *almost*
be willing to guarantee that a '286 xenix binary will *not* be able to work
on a non-v7ish filesystem.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."