Problems with floppy drive and SCO Unix r3.2v2.0

Marc Unangst mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us
Sun Jun 30 16:48:05 AEST 1991

I've been having some problems with the floppy drive on my system
(386SX/20, 4MB memory, Everex EV-346 MFM HD/FD controller, SCO
Unix r3.2v2.0).  It seems that during periods of heavy system activity --
i.e., when the system is unbatching news, or compiling software -- if
I try to use the floppy drive, I get messages like this:

WARNING: error on dev floppy (2/52), block=924 cmd=00000003 status=00000002

I can trigger these messages simply by formatting a floppy disk; I
get at least one such message during the verify process (but not during
the actual format process).  If I try to format the floppy later on,
when the system is in a more quiescent state, it works fine.  (The
drive also works just fine under DOS, for what it's worth.)  Is there
a solution to this problem?  Do I have a kernel parameter set too low,
or something like that?  Thanks in advance...

--
Marc Unangst               |
mju at mudos.ann-arbor.mi.us  | "Bus error: passengers dumped"